Monday, 25 November 2013

Update on the Brown Linen Skirt

I'm the kind of person who likes to test a theory. I don't like to do something this way or that way just because someone tells me to, even if that someone is an expert in that field. In my Underlining course Sarah Veblen did say that underlined garments should be either carefully hand washed or dry cleaned to keep the layers happily together. I avoid dry cleaning due to the hassle and cost, and hand washing? Not sure when I last hand washed a garment. I thought I'd try the delicates cycle on my front loader.

Well, the layers separated in the hem, and since it was a 5cm hem, I couldn't get them to play nicely without unpicking the hem altogether. I had no one to blame but myself.


I'm not the only one who knows how to use the washing machine, so it is likely that this garment will find itself in a spin cycle again. What I decided to do was baste around just on the inside of the fold line for the hem. This is a loose baste as the fabric is stretch woven and I want the hem to have that give. I also took the opportunity to fix up the edge. I had over-locked it, but in hindsight, it wasn't the best finish I could do. I cut a strip of the remaining linen (several, actually, and joined them together) and bound the edge. I used the lightning stitch as this one gave the most stretch when I tested a range of stitches. This meant I was unable to do a tidy stitch in the ditch, but the result is a much better finish than before. The hem was sewn with a catch stitch, again, to allow for a bit of stretch.

Lesson learnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment