Thursday, 24 October 2013

Adding to the Empire

There's nothing like a deadline to get some action in the sewing cave! We recently had a family holiday on the Gold Coast and I had nothing to wear. After my success with my empire line pattern I knew I could  quickly run up another dress and know it would fit. I've had this fabric in my stash for about a year. It's a printed viscose/spandex knit from Knitwit called "Padua".  I'm still a little bit unsure of prints and which styles and scale of prints really suit me, but since I had my personal colour analysis earlier this year, I knew the colours in this fabric were spot on.

The only change I made to this version is the sleeve. I used the regular knit short sleeve this time. Cutting out took much longer than I expected. The printed stripes are not totally straight and even, so graining up took me ages. I thought the stripes would help! After I got over the fact that perfect stripe matching wasn't going to happen, the rest was a very pleasant afternoon in my sewing cave. I finished the neckline with a self fabric binding using a technique I learned in a recent Craftsy class - Sewing on the Edge. (I probably should review this class soon as I really loved this class.)

I love everything about this dress. The fabric feels lovely on. It's soft and fine, and will be very comfortable over the summer. I also love the print, which is a pleasant surprise! The fit is perfect - thank you Sure-Fit Designs!



4 comments:

  1. Hi Leonie - I agree, those colours are good for you. I'm enjoying your blog which I came across via Sure Fit Designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors are great, and the dress looks fantastic! I hope you have a lovely vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! You made tough camouflage fabric into a very feminine silhouette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colours do suit you Leonie. Exotic must be similar to Autumn, or Deep Warm ( I trained years ago, and some people develop their own names). The dress does fit nicely - I should imagine you have had some fit challenges over the years. Your haircut and dress work nicely together :)

    ReplyDelete