He has grown out of his little boy style bedding - rockets, soccer themed doona covers - and Kmart had a camouflage set on sale. It was only $9 so I bought it for him. He really liked it (yucky shiny polyester) but asked me to try to get a more green one - more army style. He was disappointed that Kmart only had the blue colour-way.
On Monday I went to Darn Cheap Fabrics to check out their end of season sale, and in the far corner was a camouflage 100% cotton jersey for $6.95/m. I knew exactly what to do with that, and did a quick calculation of how much I needed: 4m for the doona cover and extra for the pillows. There was just over 6m left on the bolt. This was meant for him!
I used one of his current doona covers for the "pattern" and made it like a giant pillow slip. I had hoped it would enclose the doona well enough, but I think I'll put a couple of press studs to close off the bottom. He has 2 U-shaped pillows and 1 normal pillow. Again, I used his pillow cases as templates. The U-shape pillows take a lot of fabric to cover, so for one of the backs, I needed to piece some off cuts together, but I'm really happy with the result - and so is he!
|You can barely see the pillow at the end - camouflaged!|
This project came together in record time. Fabric purchased on Monday, washed on Tuesday, sewn Wednesday and Thursday, and in use Thursday night!